Yesterday, I dragged the fiancé to Lynchburg for a sample sale at the J.Crew warehouse. This is what I have to say about that:
O… M… G…
And I don’t even consider that term to be part of my vocabulary. But honestly, there are no other words to describe it as accurately. Just “omg.”
First of all, it was packed. And I do mean packed. There were hundreds of people digging through what must have been at least 1,000 boxes (I kid you not) for incredibly discounted merchandise. You are literally handed a garbage bag when you walk through the door… Yes, a garbage bag. They also give you a price list. The list breaks down the prices for different items by type, material, etc. And the prices… let’s just say that they really could not have been lower. They then release you into the warehouse where you participate in a mad dash for coveted shoes, dresses, bags, jewelry, etc. and fill your garbage bag to your heart’s desire. Now, picture what could probably be a scene that was cut from The Hunger Games. No joke. It was crazy.
I wish I could to tell you that I came home last night, emptied my closet, and filled it with an entirely new wardrobe (I wish), but that was not my purpose in attending yesterday’s sale. Maybe next time.
What was I doing there, you ask?
Well, I was on the hunt for something very specific: bridesmaids’ dresses. And boy, did I find them! I now have plenty of dresses for my girls to try on and choose from. The best part: I was able to get a variety of fabrics and styles, so each girl will get exactly what she wants! No poofy shoulders or giant bows on the butt! I am so happy I was able to do this for the girls who will be standing with me on the happiest day of my life. But okay, I lied… Want to know what really was the best part? The dresses were $15.
I know. You are in shock. I was too. Fifteen bucks a piece for J.Crew bridesmaid dresses??? You can take a look at the J.Crew website if you really want to know how crazy that is. We’re talking a $200+ price difference there.
So, in summary, if you ever have the opportunity to attend one of these fabulous free-for-alls, DO IT! It is quite the experience. However, do keep a few things in mind:
- The lines will be as crazy long as the prices are low.
- There are NO dressing rooms and absolutely NO returns.
- You may be told not to sort your items while you shop and that once an item is in your bag, it stays there!
- You will find fantastic deals but you will work for them. This is an all-day sort of affair and you will be exhausted by the end of it. It gets super hot when you are looking through the boxes, so dress accordingly.
- Items are sorted by basic function. Most of the time. This means that bottoms (pants, skirts, shorts) are in one general area, tops are in another, dresses in yet another, and so on. Aside from that, everything is just kind of thrown together regardless of style, size, or color. Searching for something specific? You may be there awhile. Found this great dress in a size 2 but you need it in a size 4? Keep lookin’ sister! It may be ten boxes and half an hour away…
Bottom line? It was fun. I highly recommend it. After all, who doesn’t love a good sale?
Speaking of sales…
For a limited time, use the coupon code BLOG5 for 5% off your purchase in my shop. I had such a great time yesterday, I wanted to share the love a bit 🙂